Thursday, September 9, 2010

Working through something...

I was driving into town today and I heard something on the radio that made me stop and think, the guy was talking about how someone had treated him rude and how his first instinct was to be rude back, but he stopped and thought about and decided that killing her with kindness was better in the long run then actually letting her have what she deserved. This got me thinking about why are first instinct is often opposite of what the "right" thing is to do. Why is it important to treat people nice even when they don't deserve it, because I think it builds character and good character is important. Great character will help you stay strong in the midst of a choice that is hard to make...good character will help you to do what is right.
I have great friends and people in my life that push me to "betterness" and "love." When i am working through a problem and i would much rather bite back, to the person who doesn't deserve me to be nice to them, these people say, "Randi you are going to choose what is right because it is important." Often times when people have hurt us and we carry the hurt around it ends up only hurting us.
This blog post seems all over the place but it is just something I am working through. Any thoughts???

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing because I think you are completely right in the fact that it can only hurt us. I also think sometimes we can get caught up in playing the victim or martyr and we have to guard against that as well. I think that our heart has to be in the right place so that are actions aren't just for spite! Those are my thoughts...?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something I came across last summer,, you can call and I can tell you the incident,, anyways, this 'incident' made me really think about how I treat others, what is my response to them, whether I know them or not. Each case being equally important. Those who don't know me, only know me by the small interaction I have with them, i.e. sales people, tellers, etc... How I interact with them tells them who I am, and what my character is, am I nice, or am I rude?? Also, we are called to be the salt and light of this world, what are these people seeing in me,, even if it is brief. There are many more thoughts I had on this, but it made me want to go out of my way to be nice, and to say hi, ask them how their day is.... And to people who know us,, I think it is easy sometimes to be rude, or caddy to those we know, b/c we think they will understand, but again, what is that saying about my character. Is how I'm acting and what I'm saying honoring the One who created me? I have had many thoughts on this subject,, as I'm sure you can tell,, I could go on and on, but I won't write a novel:) At least you are not the only one who writes their thoughts somewhat scattered:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, one more thing,, I think an important thing to remember as well is to consider how you act when you think no one is watching,,,are you the same person as when you know someone is watching,,,,, ooooooh, things to ponder,,,, lol:)

    ReplyDelete